About Our Church
As a Christian church, we are a faith community grounded in the teachings of the Bible. We believe that the Bible is the inspired Word of God and is our guide for living a fulfilling lifestyle.
The Seventh-day Adventist Church is a global network of over 14 million members located in 200 countries across the world. We also operate schools, hospitals and development and relief agencies as we believe in not only caring for the spirtual needs but also the social and physical needs of the community.
The Beliefs of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
- Who wrote the Bible?
- Who is God?
- Who created the earth?
- What is the nature and purpose of people?
- What is the Great Controversy?
- What was the purpose of Christ’s life on earth, His death and resurrection?
- How do we overcome evil spirits?
- Who makes up the true church and what is its purpose?
- What does it mean to get baptised?
- What is the purpose of the Lord’s Supper?
- What is a spiritual gift? Who can be spiritually gifted?
- What is the law of God?
- Why do we go to church on Saturday?
- What are the characteristics of a Christian?
- What is the meaning of marriage?
- What happens when you die?
- How is Christ working on our behalf at this moment?
- What happens at the second coming of Christ? Who will go to heaven?
- What happens after the second coming? How will sin be destroyed?
- What will it be like to spend eternity with God?
- Who wrote the BibleThe Holy Spirit inspired followers of God to speak and write the Old and New Testaments of the Holy Scriptures.
- Who is God?There is one God, made up of three eternal Persons who co-exist in unity — The Father is sovereign over all creation
– The Son became human, lived on earth as Jesus Christ, died for our sins and returned to heaven where He is working on our behalf and awaiting His return to grant people who believe in Him eternal life.
– The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of God sent to earth to comfort us, convict our hearts of sin and to give us the power to overcome sin.
- Who created the earth?God is the Creator of all things. The Bible gives an authentic account of God’s creative activity.
- What is the nature and purpose of people?God made people in His image with individuality, the power and freedom to think and to do. God is our source of life, breath and everything else. God created each one of us to play a unique role in His creation.
- What is the Great Controversy?The Great Controversy is the conflict between Jesus Christ and Satan regarding the character of God, His law and His sovereignty over the universe. This conflict started in heaven and reached the earth when Adam and Eve-the first two created people-sinned.
- What was the purpose of Christ’s life on earth, His death and resurrection?Because Jesus Christ came to earth, was crucified for our sins and was resurrected, we have the chance to overcome sin and be forgiven. God provided the ultimate sacrifice so we may have the gift of eternal life, if we choose to accept it. Christ’s death gives humans a way to have eternal life if we only repent of our sins and believe in His Word.
- How do we overcome evil spirits?While Jesus was on earth, He too was subjected to demonic spirits. But by his death on the cross and resurrection, Jesus triumphed over the forces of evil. He has broken their power and made certain their ultimate doom.So when we commit our life to Jesus as our Lord and Saviour we too can overcome evil. The Holy Spirit comes into our life and cleanses us. Through our continual communion with Jesus we are given the power to overcome evil.
- Who makes up the true church and what is its purpose?The church is made up of many people who accept and declare Jesus as their Lord and Saviour and believe in the teachings of the Bible. They are united in Jesus Christ. The purpose of God’s church is to tell everyone about God’s plan of salvation, His love for us and His second coming.
- What does it mean to get baptised?The Bible teaches us to be baptised by immersion. Baptism is a public declaration that you believe Jesus Christ died for your sins and rose again so you may have eternal life. By acknowledging this, you choose to leave behind your life of sin and walk in newness of life with God.
- What is the purpose of the Lord’s Supper?The Lord’s Supper is a memorial of Jesus’ crucifixion. When we participate in this special occasion, we express our faith in Jesus as our Lord and Saviour.
- What is a spiritual gift? Who can be spiritually gifted?We believe a spiritual gift is a special gift God gives to members of His church for the common good of the church and of humanity. The Holy Spirit gives to each member different gifts-each plays a special role the church requires to fulfil its mission. Every believer can be spiritually gifted.
- What is the law of God?The Ten Commandments embody the principles of God’s law and express His love and purpose for humankind. Jesus Christ obeyed the Ten Commandments during His life on earth. The Ten Commandments are eternal-they are binding for all people in every age. The principles of God’s law are the basis of His promise with His people and the standard of His judgment.
- Why do we go to church on Saturday?We go to church on Saturday because it is the biblical day of worship. God created the world in six days and rested on the seventh. God’s law, as expressed in the Ten Commandments, requires us to observe the seventh-day Sabbath, or Saturday, as a day of worship, rest and ministry. The Sabbath starts from sunset on Friday and finishes at sunset on Saturday.
- What are the characteristics of a Christian?There are many characteristics of a Christian. Christians are God’s stewards. God has entrusted us with time and opportunities, abilities and possessions, the earth and its resources, so we can use them properly and faithfully.God wants His people to be godly-to think, feel and act in harmony with His principles.
- What is the meaning of marriage?Marriage is a lifelong union between a man and a woman in loving companionship. The marriage relationship is based on love, honour, respect and responsibility. It should reflect the love, sanctity, closeness and permanence of the relationship between Jesus Christ and His church.
- What happens when you die?According to the Bible, death is an unconscious, sleep-like state. When Jesus Christ comes again, He will resurrect the dead who believe in Him and will take them to heaven. The dead who are unbelievers will be resurrected 1000 years later.
- How is Christ working on our behalf at this moment?Jesus Christ is now in the heavenly sanctuary where He is the mediator between the people who believe in Him and God because His death paid the penalty for sin. Christ is also performing what theologians call the “investigative judgment.” This judgment declares those who have remained loyal to Christ and who shall go to heaven.
- What happens at the second coming of Christ? Who will go to heaven?When Jesus Christ returns to earth for the second time, He will take to heaven the people who died believing in Him, as well as the people who will be alive at this time and believe in Him. People who do not believe in Christ will die. The Bible says Christ’s coming will be literal, personal, visible and worldwide, but it does not reveal the exact time of this event. That is why we need to be spiritually ready at all times.
- What happens after the second coming? How will sin be destroyed?For a period of a thousand years the earth will be utterly desolate and only Satan and his angels will be on earth. At the end of the thousand years the the Holy City in heaven will descend to earth. The unrighteous dead will be resurrected and with Satan and his angels, they will surround the Holy City to attack God and His people. God will destroy Satan and his followers, hence removing sin forever.
- What will it be like to spend eternity with God?There will be no more suffering or death because sin will be no more. The earth will be transformed into a perfect environment and there will be everlasting life, love and joy because God will dwell with us.
Read more about the Seventh-day Adventist Church at www.adventist.org.au
The church is made up of many people who accept and declare Jesus as their Lord and Saviour and believe in the teachings of the Bible. They are united in Jesus Christ. The purpose of God’s church is to tell everyone about God’s plan of salvation, His love for us and His second coming.
Origin of our church
The Seventh-day Adventist Church has been sharing the gospel and serving the world for over 150 years. Recently an historically accurate, full-length feature film was made to tell that story.
Our church has a strong missionary focus, here is an example of some of the projects we operate and support.